Allyson attended VBS at a local church last week. This was her third VBS, but the first that was without her mom as the director. The night before her first day she said, "I think I'd like VBS better if you were the teacher." Fortunately, she liked it just fine without me and had a great week. She came home with some fun new bits of wisdom...
On the second day, they talked about the 10 Commandments. On the way home I was testing her a bit to see how many of the 10 she could remember. I said something like, "You should never say..." and she quickly said, "Oh, yeah. You should never say 'Oh my God.'" I confirmed her correct response, then she continued: "And you shouldn't say 'Oh my gosh.'" I agreed. Then she added, "Or 'Holy cow.'" Hmmm. Did they roll in the story of the golden calf with the 10 Commandments?
Allyson has a sweet little friend from that church who is quite outgoing and fun. Apparently they were dancing together to the morning's music, and her friend got a bit out of control. Ally exclaimed to her friend, "If we keep dancing like this, you're going to put me in the hospital!"
And on the final day, she came home with all kinds of facts about bats. Bats sleep during the day, so if you see one in the daytime, it's probably tired. Bats eat fruit and mosquitoes, so they are really helpful for us! And bats are usually afraid of humans. As she is sharing her newfound wisdom, I'm thinking, "What Bible story has bats in it? 6 years of children's ministry and I can't think of a single one!" So I finally ask her, "Why were you talking about bats today?" Her quick answer, "Oh, there was a bat in the church." Which led to my giggles, picturing the teachers throwing out these helpful facts about bats to calm the nearly hysterical children as the bat swoops around their dancing heads.
5 days after she started, our Ally-girl is older and wiser...at least about the commandments and, um, bats.
1 comment:
That Ally is just growing up too fast. Can hardly wait to get down there and see you guys again.
Grandpa V
Post a Comment