Friday, September 09, 2011

The First Week of School

Whew! What a week!

Here I am, on Friday, pondering the BIG events of the week. Natalie started preschool at the same school that Allyson went to as a 3 & 4-year-old. They had a staggered start, meaning the girls started on Tuesday and the boys attended on Thursday, then both will attend together this next Tuesday. So, even though she just had one day this week, she is officially a preschooler and loved every second of her preschool moments.


Allyson started her second grade year here at home. She enthusiastically started each day, asking what we would do first. It really is amazing what we can accomplish in such a small amount of time.
Of course, our little student teacher added a few distractions...


This week our classroom was the comfy sofa and pull-up coffee table, but our real classroom will be ready soon! We are transforming half of the basement playroom into our classroom. Rest assured, I will post pictures as soon as the area is camera-ready.

Our sweet 7-year-old also started piano lessons this week. Although the lesson went well, she promptly forgot what she had learned and refused to listen to my guidance. Apparently my 13 years of lessons cannot possibly help her on her VERY FIRST PIANO LESSON EVER. Ahem. We met up with her teacher this morning for another event and she reminded Ally of the correct technique.

Um yeah, I was right.

Then today, we all had our first day at Janesville's Christian Homeschoolers' Co-op. What fun! Natalie loved her class, which featured her mama as the music teacher. Allyson and the other 6-16 year olds rotated from art to music to p.e. I also taught some music to Ally's class. A local Christian school's music teacher visits us on Fridays, teaching our kids theory while another mom teaches songs for an end-of-semester program. I round out the program with a few "fun" songs. Overall, a good time was had by all!

So now, we are all ready to sleep. Any chance the little ones will sleep-in tomorrow morning?

Yeah, I didn't think so either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I am exhausted just reading about all the activities you had during this short school week! Sounds like everyone is adapting well to the new routines. Love all the photos!!!

Love from Grandma W.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I am exhausted just reading about all the activities you had during this short school week! Sounds like everyone is adapting well to the new routines. Love all the photos!!!

Love from Grandma W.