But I should probably backtrack and tell you the story.
First of all, if you're offended by the word "crap," you may want to come back in a day or two and view the next post. If not, stick around.
As parents, we all say things that we probably shouldn't, just to hear them repeated back to you by the sweet little mouth belonging to your child. Ahem. We're no exceptions.
On Thanksgiving, we ran to K-Mart to try and snag a deal or two and let the kiddos get some fresh air. We shopped for just a bit and when I paid, David took the kids to the front door. Near the door, the ever-present quarter-toy machines summoned their attention.
Thinking it was something else, David jumped on board, purchasing a green die with various words on each side.
When it came out, Dave discovered it wasn't as cool as he originally thought. The girls quickly asked, "What is it?" He muttered, "A piece of crap."
I arrived at the door and asked Natalie what she was holding. She promptly, and excitedly answered, "A piece-a-crap!" (Picture a big grin...as if she had found a treasure!)
We laughed all the way home. And we continually laughed every time she mentioned her prized possession. The next morning, she asked, "Where's my piece-a-crap?" (You have to admit you're smiling.)
Let me just take a moment for a side story. I can't resist a good side story.
The die is like a not-so-fancy version of those Magic 8 Balls. You ask a question, shake the ball, or die in this case, and wait for the answer to "appear." Ally was playing with the die this afternoon and started asking questions...
A: Does Mommy love me?
P-of-C: Oh Totally.
A: Does Daddy love me?
P-of-C: Super Likely.
A: Does Chris love me?
P-of-C: Definite Maybe.
A: Does Natalie love me?
P-of-C: Doubtful.
Then she continued:
A: Will I get a time-out tonight?
P-of-C: Doubtful
A: Will Nat-Nat get a time-out tonight?
P-of-C: Super Likely.
I gotta say...there may be something to this twenty-five cent piece of crap.
Back to the point...
The small die gets lost in our piles of toys, so Natalie hadn't seen it in days. This morning, I heard her squeal, "Look! It's my crap!"
It never gets old.
No comments:
Post a Comment