Sunday, March 28, 2010

Are You Smarter Than a....Kindergartner?

This conversation took place sometime in the haze that was last week.

Ally:  Mom, did you know something special about the word "shower"?
Me:  What's that, honey?
Ally:  The word "shower" has three digraphs and nothing else.
Me:  (Trying to clear the fuzzy brain and remember...)
Ally:  Did you hear me, Mom?
Me:  Yup.  Uh...so tell me how smart you are and explain to me what a digraph is.
Ally:  It's when two letters come together to make a sound that one letter does not make by itself.
Me: (Quickly)  That's right, honey!  Great job!  You must really be listening in class. I'm proud of you...

Yes, for the record, I was a kindergarten teacher (seems like a lifetime ago).  But I swear to you I did not teach my kindergartners the word "digraph."  I think I may have done them a great disservice. 

(In my defense, I had had a VERY long day and was physically and emotionally spent.) 

Today, Ally told me that she used "organic shapes" to make her horse for cowboy/cowgirl day at school.

Uh-huh.  (Just go ahead and repeat the above conversation, because that's basically how it went.)

So, be truthful.  Did you remember what a digraph was?  How about organic shapes?

(If you read the comments and see that everyone is saying, "yes, of course I knew that," please have mercy on this mommy and write, "No!  I had no idea! I never should have graduated kindergarten!" or something like that.  Thank you.)

3 comments:

Paula said...

I have never heard of the word digraph.... I think it was invented after I left Kindergarden! Organic shapes.... that was invented after I left collage...I think.

Love, Paula

Basketwebb said...

This grandma did not have the pleasure of attending kindergarten, so excuse my ignorance of not knowing the word digraph! Also "organic shapes" that sounds like something that would be used in "green buildings"!!

[not the] Best Blog Ever said...

High school valedictorian and 4.0 college grad that I am... I did not know what is either a digraph or organic shapes until this post!

Please thank Ally for the enlightenment to this old dummy!

:)