Thursday, September 30, 2010

Children's Church, circa 1985


At our church, the youth pastor also oversees the children's department. We really like him, for many reasons, but one such reason is his recent desire to infuse the kids with the songs their parents remember from children's church. Yes, my friends, bring on "This Little Light of Mine" and "Father Abraham."

Our Natalie is an early riser. Sometimes painfully early. The last few days she has woken before 5:30. Yesterday, she eagerly accepted her before-the-sunrise snack and cup of juice, then she agreed to watch "Lady and the Tramp." I jumped back in bed (or maybe just crawled) and promptly fell asleep.

We woke up to the sweetest sounds we had ever heard. At about 6:30 AM, Natalie was singing this one line, over and over again, "I so happy, so berry happy, I have the love of Jesus in my heart. I so happy, so berry happy, I have the love of Jesus in my heart."

Oh. My. Stars.

Heart-melting is what it was.



(She recently discovered a new show on Netflix called Pingu. It is a clay-mation show revolving around a penguin who doesn't speak, but makes various noises, one sounding like "Scuse Me, Scuse Me." This is what Natalie is talking about at the end of the video. We told her she could watch the show if she'd sing her song for the camera!)

Inspired by this return to our own memories of children's church music, David's been singing, "Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful, wonderful, wonderful." Do you know it?

He was belting it out this morning, while I was upstairs selecting clothes for the little ones to wear. Ally was also upstairs, fixing her hair. She said, "Is Daddy singing, 'With the love of Jesus I can laundry-fold!'?"

Close enough, right?

1 comment:

Basketwebb said...

That Natalie is a sweetheart! Wow she gives up the binky and now she is singing songs about Jesus, it doesn't get any better than this! This post brought a tear to my eye and touched my heart. Love, Grandma W.