Not too long ago, David re-discovered the Pippi Longstocking movies on Netflix. In case you are unaware, Pippi was originally released in 1949. Later, in 1961, an adaptation of Pippi Longstocking was released. In 1969 and 1970, 4 Swedish Pippi movies were released. Later, Pippi became a short-lived TV series. Pippi Longstocking arrived in America when a feature film was created here in 1988.
We have now seen the 1988 version and three of the four Swedish films via Netflix. I tend to prefer the Swedish films, even though it means I have to tolerate the overdubbing. David's favorite Pippi is the newer version, because of the sweet 80's music (his words, not mine).
For whatever reason, our girls LOVE Pippi. Each movie is peppered with quirky (and painfully memorable) songs, including the song referenced by the above title. Pippi is never far from our minds, whether one of the ditties is endlessly circling through our heads or Natalie is pointing out Pippis wherever we go.
Here are just a few examples. I assure you, there are at least a dozen more where these come from.
1. We went to a water park in August that featured a large ship with slides coming down from the top. The second she saw it, she declared, "It's Pippi Stockin's boat!" (Reminder: Pippi was the daughter of a pirate.)
2. We saw a Polly Pocket doll at Target not long ago with red hair and braids. Before any of the rest of us even registered what she was looking at, she screamed, "It's Pippi Stockin!"
3. There was a sweet little girl, not even a year old, with fabulous little inch-long stick-out pigtails at the store the other day and Natalie quickly pointed and said, "She has Pippi Stockin hair!"
4. Every time we drive past a Wendy's, she points out sweet Wendy. Uh-huh. (How is it that I never noticed Wendy is a blatant copy of Pippi?)
5. But the best Pippi moment was when we drove past a beagle with big 'ol ears. Natalie excitedly pointed and said, "That dog has Pippin Stockin hair!"
As if to prove our recent love of the freckle-faced redhead girl, Ally has two pictures in the sidebar that she took of the TV when a Pippi movie was playing. See if you can spot 'em!
2 comments:
I loved Pippi Longstocking when I was young! Funny, I just tried to convince Bob and Emily that I should put one those movies in our Netflix que. They both gave me very strange looks!!
Love you!
Lori
I am embarrassed to admit that I liked to watch them with the boys when they were little. Yikes!
Post a Comment